The What's Working gadget computes the effectiveness of changes to pages on a specified area of a site by calculating the change in number of views per page change (gains per page) in that area of the site. For this gadget, a change is a new page or a modification to an existing page; removing a page is not a change. If the gain per page is equal to or higher than a specified goal, the gadget indicates that the changes have worked. If gain is lower than the goal, the gadget indicates that the changes have not worked. Gains per page is computed as follows:
You specify whether you want to view all sites or a single site in the gadget's settings. To view the sub-sections and folders of a parent section, you must click on the bar on the graph representing the parent section or folder.
In the following graph a CM1 user has chosen to view All Sites in the gadget's settings:
In both cases, the gadget's y-axis lists the sites or sections evaluated. Each site or section is represented by a horizontal bar which begins at 0 and indicates the actual gain. The goal (minimum acceptable views) is represented by a gray vertical line. If a site or section bar reaches the goal or extends beyond it, it is green, which indicates that the changes have worked. If a site or section bar does not reach the goal, it is red, which indicates that the changes have not worked.
Clicking on a bar in the graph expands the corresponding site or section to show the sub-sections and sub-folders it contains and bars that indicate to what degree changes to them have worked. You can continue to see the effectiveness of changes to more deeply embedded sub-sections and sub-folders in a site by clicking on lower level bars until you have reached a path's lowest level.
For example, in the previous graph, the user would click on the second bar from the top to view the What We Do section's sub-sections and sub-folders, as shown below:
Breadcrumb links at the top of the gadget show the path followed; you can click on a breadcrumb to go back up to that level of the site. In the previous graph, if the user clicks on the www.brightvoyage.com link, the gadget moves back up to the site level and shows bars for all of the top-level sections.
Note: When you log in to CM1, the gadget shows the site and sections at the level that you last viewed.
- Days (default)
- Months (units of 30 days)
How Many - A number indicating how many Duration units are included when calculating pages. Any integer greater than 0 is valid. Default is 0.
Site - Required. Drop-down list with the options:
- All Sites (default) - Gadget displays each site's gain.
- Names of all other sites on your system - Gadget displays gains to the selected site's top-level sections and folders.
Usage - Method for counting number of pages viewed during a session. Options are:
- Page views (default) - A page is counted each time it is hit during a session.
- Unique page views - A page is counted once during a session regardless of the number of times it is hit.
Goal (Gains per page) - Acceptable number of additional page views per change. Any positive integer, negative integer, or 0 is valid. Default is 0. The value 0 causes the gray goal line to overlap the 0 line.
Using the What's Working Gadget
To display which changes in a site have worked during a time period:
- Since the gadget uses Google Analytics to compute values, you must connect to Google Analytics using the Google Setup Gadget.
- In the What's Working gadget, click the down arrow in the upper right corner and choose Edit Settings.
The gadget displays the user settings.
- Specify a time period by choosing an option for Duration and entering a number for How Many.
- In Site, select All Sites or a specific site.
- In Usage, choose Page views or Unique page views. If you choose Page views, a page is counted each time it is hit during a session; if you choose Unique page views, a page is counted once during a session, regardless of the number of times it is hit.
- In Goal (Gains per page), enter the number of acceptable page views of the site or section per page change.
- Click [SAVE].
The title of the gadget changes to reflect your choices.
The gadget now displays a bar graph showing the effectiveness of modifications to the site(s) or sections within the duration chosen.
To display effectiveness of changes in sub-sections and sub-folders:
- Click on the bar representing the section containing the sub-sections or sub-folders that you want to see.
You may have to click on additional sub-section/sub-folder bars to reach the level that you want to look at.
- If you want to move back up to a higher level of the site, click the corresponding breadcrumb at the top of the gadget.